BREAD MEETS SCIENCE
- We're obsessed with making flavorful bread that's also healthy, and we've spent many years studying the science behind both.
- We use organic heirloom and specialty grains that are milled in-house for each batch.
- We don’t use textbook recipes and place value in continuous experimentation.
- Our long fermentation cycles develop deep flavor and complex texture (our signature Miche Boule takes four days to prepare!)
- We let local wild yeasts do their magic on our dough for a sense of terroir. Wild yeasts make a natural preservative, keeping our breads fresh for a week or more.
- Sourdough breads have a low glycemic index; a true sourdough actually lowers the glycemic load of a meal. This is real bread, as it was meant to be. And you don't have to feel guilty about eating it.
HOW TO ENJOY
- While we love to eat our bread with good cultured butter, we recommend tasting a few slices plain so that you can appreciate the unique grains, fermentation and craftsmanship put into each loaf. You may find that our breads are often best savored on their own.
- Our breads will keep well for a week or more. Keep your bread at room temperature in a bread box, or in a paper bag for the first 1-2 days. Beyond that, place in an airtight container to maintain moistness. Refresh the bread in an oven or toaster to crisp up the crust and soften the crumb.
- For long-term storage, freeze your bread. Slice into halves, quarters or slices and set inside a plastic bag. To consume, dampen the crust with water and heat in oven at 375 degrees until the crust is crisp. Please refrain from keeping our breads in your fridge.
- On rainy or humid days, the crusts tend to soften. A few minutes in the oven will crisp it back up.
Where and how can I buy Miche bread?
We're a direct-to-consumer service with no retail footprint. We offer quarterly subscriptions for pick up at locations around Austin.
When and where do I pick up my bread?
Why does it cost more than other breads?
Because there is no compromise for great bread. We're very specialized and source high-quality organic ingredients including heirloom and rare grains. Our process is manually intensive and it takes 3-5 days to make our breads, involving many stages of dough development. Our customers agree that our breads are well worth the price, and are in a league of their own.
Can I try before I commit to a subscription?
Yes! We have samples for tasting at our partner locations on pickup Saturdays. Dates and times are listed in the subscription page. Be sure to get there during the earlier part of the pickup times since samples do run out.